Maria Thomas does this lovely little thing in her zentangles, to add highlights.  Rick refers to them as Sparks.  It's simply a matter of making some lines shorter than others, but it's very effective.  I'm using Sparks here to spice up an otherwise bland pattern.  The reason I offer this otherwise bland pattern, is that it makes a great background.  It is also great practice for linework. 

The outer lines can be hard to draw because they are so long.  

Tips:Work on a steady surface. 
Look at where you want the line to end, not where you are currently drawing.
Keep your hand light.  If you press down, trying to control your pen, you just make yourself more wobbly!
Once you start having trouble, stop adding lines.  You can get bolder as you get better. 

Edited to add: On my flickr site post, Marguerite1997 left a tip that I hadn't considered.  She said "And remember to pull your pen, not push it. Little drafting tip."  The minute I read this, I knew she was right. 



Comments

  1. Nice! Great tip about watching the pen! It's much easier to do if you keep your eye where you want to end up. Also, holding the pen lightly.. some days it's easier than others:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this demonstration!
    I noticed before that Shelly Beauch uses this technique as well. It gives a beautiful facility to repeated lines.
    And your ZT is great as ever! Love this entrance to a deep tunnel…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey YOU!! I'm baaack!! LOL!! You know I fell off the blogging map about a year ago...but have jumped back in with both feet! I know it's been a while since you moved into zentangle..but I was wondering when you made the switch and are you working in any other mediums, or focusing on this? Really looking forward to re-connecting. I don't create ATC's anymore, but I still enjoy looking at my fantastic miniature pieces of fine art that you created!!

    Kate (the artist formerly known as Kathy)lol!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment