Review- Four J Herbin Fountain Pen Inks

 Today, I'm reviewing J. Herbin's Eclat de Saphir, Blue Pervenche, 1670 Bleu Ocean and in a contrast from blues- 1670 Rouge Hematite Fountain Pen inks (herein referred to as FP inks).  I'm going to keep each review fairly brief, mostly letting my drawings do the talking, because I know this is a busy season.  I've added links to other reviews, so you can easily find more information, if desired.  

/
IMG_4279
Example for J. Herbin Inks












 






***

Eclat de Saphir (Sapphire blue)

85e3f-j-herbinfpink-eclatdesaphir
Eclat de Saphir is a beautiful color, very similar to J Herbin's Bleu Myosotis.  It has a nice glow, tends to the cool, and tips toward the purple in some lights.  While I didn't notice too much shading in the pen strokes, I found that even a second layer of ink darkened it considerably, making it easy to get nice shadows in your drawing.
x 002
Other reviews:

Bleu Pervenche (periwinkle blue)

Bleu Pervenche is lovely blue that leans toward the warm and teal/aqua  side of things.  I noticed very little shading, but I only had rollerball cartridges, so shading might be more apparent when using this ink with fountain pens.  It's a fairly wet ink.  Not as wet as Vert Empire or Orange Indien, but enough so it  will feather if you hold the pen in place for long.  It has a lovely glow and is one of my new favorites.  
x 001


Other reviews:

1670 Bleu Ocean

Bleu Ocean is a fairly dry ink, but wetter than the Eclat de Saphir.  In some lights and on some papers, it appears almost a navy blue, and in others a dark purple.   I didn't notice much shading in the strokes, but it layers nicely allowing for a wide range of shadows and depth.  While I'm drawn to the Blue Pervenche for it's color, I found that I achieved the widest expression of line with this ink.
Other reviews:
Goulet Pens -video

1670 Rouge Hematite

Rouge Hematite is a glorious color, but it's a chameleon.  It shimmers and glows but more discreetly than gel ink or glitter.  In some lights and on some paper, it can look anywhere between a cool violet-tinged red to a greenish red-gold or a warm terracotta.  The color often changes once it dries,  so you might want to test it on your paper, with any other inks you intend to use it with.  
It's just about in-between wet and dry, and almost makes me think of gel ink in the way it glides onto the paper.
Although, I've had no trouble with the ink in either my rollerball pen or my fountain pen, the particles that give that gold sheen can clog your nib, so this ink may take a little work in cleaning.
xx
Entrance to TangleLand-Rouge Hematite
Other reviews:
I hope my reviews were helpful, and I want to thank Exaclair for giving me the chance to try out these inks.
Disclaimer: I received samples of Eclat de Saphir, 1670 Bleu Ocean & Bleu Pervenche from Exaclair, but was not asked to review them.  I received no other compensation.  I bought the Rouge Hematite on my own.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Comments

  1. It is not so much the product, but what you do with it that I find amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment