Cottage in Clovelly #Watercolor #‎WorldWatercolorMonth‬ #Clovelly

A few days ago I gave someone some advice when we were talking about finding our style (hi Betsy!).  I told her that if there was something she did consistently, that she wished she wouldn't, she should embrace it because that was her style trying to come out.

Well.  I still stand by the advice, but you do have to learn how to get the best out of what you consistently do.   I don't often do buildings, and I wasn't sure how to go about doing this one so I just kind of went at it.  I ended up doing all those things that I kind of wish I didn't do.  I don't think I did them very well.

But it's okay.  Now I have a better idea of what might actually work next time.  I had expected the painting to be a challenge in perspective, but I didn't expect it to be a challenge in values and it was.  My original photo is faded (I took it in Clovelly, Devon in 1977), and I wasn't sure how I wanted to handle the color.


And I did get some interesting textures that I like, scraping with a plastic fork, using a dry brush and lifting with a scrubber brush..  I'll do the painting again.  And I don't think it will take me 39 years to get around to it this time, lol!

Comments