Rubber Ducky Blues #Watercolor #WorldWatercolorGroup #StillmanAndBirn

The World Watercolor Group has a challenge prompt for each day.  I don't usually join in on those, but for some reason, the Rubber Ducky prompt took my fancy.  The prompts are supposed to be based on childhood memories, and honestly I don't have any that involve rubber duckies.  I'm a bit too old for the Sesame Street version, and I don't think we ever had any at home.

Still. How can you resist rubber duckies?

I used a dagger brush (1/4 inch) for most of this painting.  It worked well for the words, and the duckies.  Not so well for the water.  That didn't surprise me.  A larger brush would have been better, but I wanted to get a better feel for the boundary.  I really like this brush, and wanted to know when it became more hindrance than help.

You have to really watch which edge you're using (one side is longer than the other).  It's really great for curves once you get the hang of it, and you can get very fine detail.  But this size and brand (Fabart) doesn't hold enough pigment for covering large areas.  I now know not to use it for anything larger than an area about the size of a rubber ducky's head.


Done in a Stillman and Birn Delta Softcover Sketchbook 8 X 10 using a Fabart Interchangable Dagger brush, Cobalt Teal, Transparent Pyrrole Orange, Lunar blue, Cobalt Blue, and French Vermilion.

Comments